Have you been to many interviews but still haven’t received any job offers? It might be because you are doing something wrong. We have compiled a list of common mistakes that could be the reason for your poor turnaround:
1. Ensure you are on time for the interview. Nothing reflects as bad as a candidate being late for his interview. Plan your trip and add in some travelling time to ensure you will be covered should there be traffic. It is good practise to always be 15 minutes early for the interview. If you are earlier wait in the car until 15 minutes before your scheduled time or it may seem like you have poor time management skills. Remember to phone ahead and inform the interviewee should something unforeseen occur and you might be late.
2. Ensure you are dressed appropriately. Like any event you must dress up for the occasion. Ensure you do your research about the company not only what they do and their history but also what their culture is and what their dress code is. This will ensure that the prospective employer will feel that you are not only well presented but would be a good culture fit to the company. If you are not sure what their dress code is, it is better to dress professionally to ensure you give a good first impression and that they take your application seriously.
3. Ensure you are prepared for the interview. During the interview, you as a candidate must convince the company that you are the best person for the position. Do the relevant research to ensure you know as much as possible about the company to answer any questions they might have.
4. Ensure you come across as respectful by not badmouthing a former employer or co-workers. Even if you experienced problems, an Interview is never the space to address the previous issues. Talking badly about another person has a negative effect on the way you portray yourself. When asked about a reason for leaving, leave out the personal issues and focus on reasons like career growth or seeking more experience.
5. Ensure you express interest in the company. It is important to ask questions about the company. This not only gives you an insight into the company and the culture but also shows that you are interested in the company and want to know more about them.