It is an exciting time! You have secured a brand new and exciting position and have to prepare to complete your last day at your soon to be previous employer. You never know when you might cross paths again, thus it is important to never burn bridges. We have compiled a to do list for your last day that will ensure you exit in a proper manor.
1. Be as productive as you were on your first day, after all you are being paid until you step out of the office at the end of the day.
2. During your time with the company you acquired knowledge and skills that should be transferred to either the new employee taking your place or to one of your colleagues. Sharing this information ensures that all your hard work doesn’t go to waste and that the workflow runs smoothly after you have left.
3. If you were in a client facing role, contact the client and hand over the client to their new contact person and thank them for the time that you worked with them.
4. Hand over your log in details and passwords to all the accounts you used to access company domains and service providers. Thus, making it easier for your former employer to access the information. By doing this you will also save them time to not reset all the passwords to gain access and hand them over to the new employee.
5. Gather all your slips and calculate your travelling expenses and ensure you hand in all your outstanding expense claims before you leave.
6. Take time to do an exit interview. It is important for the company to gather information from all their soon to be previous employees. The information will help them to improve the company and understand why you are leaving and what they can do in future to secure and attain employees.
7. Clean out your desk and drawers. Shred all unnecessary paper and do your filing.
8. Hand in all company property items like laptops etc to ensure that you don’t have to return an item that belongs to the company.
9. On your first day you were introduced to all the employees during the induction process. Take the time to say goodbye to everyone instead of just leaving. It is good to stay connected and during saying goodbye you can hand out your contact details to the colleagues who mattered to you.
10. Breath, smile and get excited. Walk out with your head high as this might be the end of this chapter but a new and exciting chapter is waiting for you as soon as you step out of that door.