With the global coronavirus pandemic millions of businesses are forced to manage their workforce remotely. With this said, most companies will also now realize the financial benefits this outcome might have for them in the future. Let’s face it, it doesn’t matter if you are working from home or from the office, you are still working.
Recent studies have supported that working from home can increase productivity and decrease stress. Depending on your environment and industry there are clear advantages for both the employee and the employer.
The advantages for the employee include:
- The ability to work in comfortable clothes
- Customise your environment to increase your productivity
- Making and receiving calls are easier
- No office distractions or chatty co-workers
- Ease of flexibly as you can take breaks and have lunch at any time
- Extra time wasted on commuting to and from work can be spent productively working
- Money saving as you don’t have to spend money on travelling, canteen lunches or office attire
- Health benefits as you don’t interact with big crowds or make use of public transport
- Time to attend to other tasks you wouldn’t usually have time to deal with
- Commission based and contract workers will be able to put in more hours that will contribute to financial growth
- If you are mildly ill, you can still work from home without using your sick leave
- Flexibility to schedule your work hours to suite the season and your productivity peak
The advantages for the employer include:
- With technology it is easier than ever to manage your employees remotely
- No more spending hours in meetings, you can have your meeting remotely within minutes
- You will save money on office space, electricity bills, furniture, office commodities and admin staff
- Employees will waste less time commuting and more time working
- They will be more productive as they are in a comfortable space that they can control
- They will be happier as they will have a better work-life balance
- If you are fully remotely operational, you can hire anyone from anywhere in the world
- As your employees are happier, they are less likely to quit
- Employees from other companies will want to work for your company
- Employees will take less sick days as they would be able to work if they are mildly sick
- Employees will work longer hours as they don’t spend time commuting or participating in conversations with co-workers or take prolonged smoking breaks
- Best advantage is, if your employees work from home, you will also be able to work from home
Although there are many financial and time saving benefits. Working from home has many health benefits for both parties. As we have seen with the current lockdown, spreading of diseases are less likely with social distancing. Thus, employees are less likely to fall ill. Spending time with your family, having less work and traffic stress will ensure that you/your employee is happier and more productive.
Studies show that employees who work from home have 25 percent less stress and that they are able to maintain a better work-life balance and better physical and mental health.
Although a lot might change in the future, it is important for you as an employee or employer to choose the environment that you/ your employees will be most comfortable in and where they will be most efficient and at what expense or saving this has on your revenue.